Help and Guidance for Applicants
We award grants to voluntary and community organisations that help to improve the lives of people in the county.
We know it takes time to apply for funding and have tried to make accessing our grants as simple as possible. By telling us what you need support for via our online form, our dedicated grants team will work to match this with one, or more, of the charitable funds that we manage. They will be in touch with you for further information if they need it.
Where we can give support:
- Any voluntary or community or not-for-profit organisation working to a charitable purpose to benefit local people in Essex, Southend or Thurrock
- A limited number of our funds support individuals. You can make an initial enquiry for yourself or your child.
What we can support:
- Core costs
- Specific projects
- Training opportunities
- Charitable projects that are responding to the coronavirus pandemic
What we cannot support:
- For profit businesses
- Contribution to large appeals
- Organisations that give funds or award grants to third parties
- Political campaigning
- The promotion of religion or religious activities that do not benefit the wider public
- Statutory organisations including schools or councils in the discharge of their obligations (PTAs set up as a charity can apply)
- Retrospective funding for activities that have already taken place
What you need in place:
- A management committee with a minimum of three unrelated people (these are responsible for the organisation and make decisions)
- A signed constitution or set of rules
- A bank account in the name of your group which requires two signatories or dual authorisation
- A Safeguarding Policy if you work with children, young people or vulnerable adults
- An annual budget for your organisation
Accessing wider support
We encourage you to contact your local Council for Voluntary Service, who will be able to provide you with more information and support.
A list of other funders is also available on our website.
If you are unsure whether to apply for a grant, you may find it helpful to go through our ‘Am I Eligible?’ form.
Alternatively, you can get in touch by: